Monday, June 9, 2014

Understanding Seniority!




Friends,

Off late I have learned that writing is much more powerful tool to communicate than speak. In the era of Whats-app & FB we have forgot to write even to our close ones. To write something means we have to take out some time & think & that's what we are fast losing. I try to make out some time & write down my thoughts & share & especially when you are addressing to your team as a boss or a leader whatever you call it, writing make the job much easier.

In the times when insecurity about carrier & job is all we see around, its very much important to make your team understand what their boss thinks about them as well towards organizations values. I am not a great thinker or a wise man but whatever little I have learned in my journey as part of my past organization or at Sanjeevani, its tough to be a boss! To stood to the expectations of everybody around , may it be your client or customer & lastly your team mates, as you have nobody to lean on & expect. What I feel is to take your team mate in confidence & share your expectations time to time, in a language which they understands does help to ease out the pressure. And what better time than yearly appraisals to share such feelings! Its not how much you earn or the turnover you make in the form of money, but how less turn over you have with your team mates decides success of any organization & for that the boss has very vital role to play. real estate was & is never famous for its values towards human relations yet again there are humans only in this industry also & so its individuals approach to the work which makes the difference.

In one such try instead giving increments as per the whim or by just personal opinion , I have tried to make my team mate write down few things about themselves as well the team they are part of & then balancing all the fronts made the increments. You can not satisfy everybody at a time & that's why again the dialogue is important between the team & the leader; so wrote down to my team along with their increment check & sharing the same with you as I too can improve from the sharing!


9th June 14

“Be with a leader when he is right, stay with him when he is still right, but, leave him when he is wrong.” ...Abraham Lincoln

To,

Team Sanjeevani.

By now you all know how much your boss loves quotes from not just the celebrities but from the people who have some brain & who have proved it that they have brain! I am sure the above quote from the great American President goes with my philosophy yet with a slight modification, if you love your leader for few good characteristics he has then before leaving him, try to change him! As to leave someone is the fastest & easiest way but to be with someone & with the differences, is what real test of our duty as well courage.
Many of you may not understand what I am sharing through this letter & may take as a habit of your boss to write on any occasion but let me share that whatever I write it’s what I think as I can’t just type the words without meaning them! Today also its time to analyze our yearly performance & though we call it as increment or appraisal but what it’s really mean is self study of our use to the organization we cal Team Sanjeevani.
It’s always difficult to analyze individual contribution in a team act as every individual has a role to play, just like our body structure. For e.g. we may say brain is most important part of the body but if there are no organs present like our fingers, even the last finger of our feet which actually we hardly ever notice; to follow the order of the brain then what’s use of the brain! Similarly we have HOD's & Officers & then end level like peons & drivers but at the end we all make a body where every smallest of the organ has equal role & that’s why understand this first i.e. what is my contribution to the body I call as a Team? At the same time one should analyze that what have I contributed to my own self in the year which has just passed by. As most of the time we think seniority is in the years we have served to the organization; but by me, seniority is what we have learned & learned to use what we have learned. And this has to be reflected in our day to day activities not just at work but at our home also, that’s what makes a person real senior. Or else the years will just age us & nothing more!  Just to take orders & execute them perfectly is also a quality but it will make you a good senior robot; what we need to develop our self is, become senior as a human who can generate orders & not just get them from somebody else!
About the formalities of appraisal form being asked to you to fill, many of us will think its again some of my whims but the more you write down what you feel about the team, about yourself as well your colleagues, the better you will understand the entire organization as a team & your role in it. Please do understand that your salary doesn’t depends on just the years you have put in here or in all together, but on many parameters such as your company's turnover, market conditions, future of the industry you are in & as well stability your company provides to you. Less but assured salary is much better than higher but no salary, is what my logic is & I do apply it while selling our homes also. Instead of waiting for more profits & holding the sale, I prefer to sell them at a bit lower price & then again there is a social factor also, as remember we are not here to just make profit! And then lastly it’s very much important to know that what value addition I have done to my team as well to myself!  Times are changing & our customer does know what’s best value of the money they pay to us, to stand to those expectations is our real test & for that each of us must learn two things, first is learn to commit clearly & then stick to what you have committed!
As your leader I will never force you to work with me just because you don’t have any options; remember, it’s our choices which makes us & world is too big place for you not to just survive but prosper. And it’s your capabilities which only will be helping you for that. Never restrict your carrier graph with borders of Sanjeevani but keep them expanding & for that use the time you spend here as your launching pad. That will be the best increment you will get ever & I can offer!!

Its said that a new start requires no special day or date & it’s this time of the year can be one such & its applicable even for me as the team leader. I never claim that I am a perfect leader though I always try for becoming one! And don’t forget that each of us has a leader within; we just need to understand the leader within & let him prosper & rule us. So go ahead & step up in becoming senior by meaning the term is what my wish for you! And help others with what you have learned in the process of becoming senior.
Thanks a lot being along in the journey& look forward to yet another year ahead, making us a better team!
Sanjay & Nittein
--
Sanjeevani Team.

MSEDCL (Power) Committee, Credai, Pune

Please do visit my blogs to know about our philosophy at Sanjeevani ! (Click the links below)

http://jivnachadrushtikon.blogspot.in/

http://visonoflife.blogspot.in/2013/01/identifying-good-builder.html


Social Side of Sanjeevani ! (Click link below)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65629150@N06/sets/72157627904681345/

For any of your complaints about city, log in at link below

http://www.punecorporation.org/GRS/Complaint/LaunchComplaintCitizen.aspx

Think Green, Think Life

www.sanjeevanideve.com



1 comment:

  1. For every business owner or person wanting to start a new business, Affiliate marketing can offer a great, low-cost way to grow your business quickly. All the information out there on online marketing is so vast that it may be overwhelming.
    solotravelapp.com |

    southshoregreenhomes.com |

    tabletpresseducation.com |

    techhelperusa.com |

    theschoolringstore.com |

    ReplyDelete

Please leave ur name, email id along with ur comment. It will help me to reply ur comment as well improve the blog as per ur suggestions if any... :)
Sanjay