Sunday, June 20, 2021

Good Dad, Bad Dad & Father's Day!

 






-

My father used to play with my sister and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, 'You're tearing up the grass'; 'We're not raising grass,' Dad would reply. 'We're raising kids”... Harmon Killebrew.

Harmon Clayton Killebrew Jr., nicknamed ’The Killer’, was an American professional baseball first baseman. He was a prolific power hitter with his 22-year career in Major League Baseball with the Minnesota Twins & though  I don’t know Haromn’s father but sure with that kind of Dad, no wonder he become such a prolific hitter of the baseball! Very recently one of my friends asked me can I write something about Father as a lot has been written about moms & usually the Father is neglected when it comes to share the glory especially on family front! Indeed Fathers’ don’t enjoy much fan-fare & doesn’t have much of literature on them but that’s bound to  happen in a “Men” dominated society which we are, though we are ridiculous, pathetic & two-faced specie when it’s about honouring moms (read as women in general) is different subject of sharing, sometime later! 

Ok, so Father’s Day is here, celebrated world wide on 20th June of the year or may be 3rd Sunday of month of June, by me it makes hardly any difference as my generation (in forties or fifties) has been raised where every day was undoubtedly the Father’s Day only! May be that’s why not much written stuff is there for the father or dad though there has been some wonderful movies on father son/daughter relationship in Hollywood (Mostly Disney, who else) like iconic Lion King & recently Good Dinosaur. No wonder this bond of father has been fascinated to the present crowd puller franchise of Marvel Super Heroes too! Right from Iron Man bumping in with his dad in time travel & exchanging some heart touching dialogues in recent Infinity War, End Game to legendary Black Panther meeting his father’s soul, the dad-son bond has become backbone to cash on the society’s emotions. Even the ultimate villain Thanos in Infinity War has a special bond with his adopted daughter Gamora & loves her to such extent that he has to kill her when the stone keeper asks him to give away most loved thing to get that stone! And how we can forget our Bollywood when it comes to father son relation & Tragedy King Vs. Angry Young Man’s jugalbandi in Shakti where the son on the wrong path has to die at the hands of father who is a cop i.e. keep of good things ! But as I said most of these things are to encash emotions & no harm that’s how you make money in the entertainment industry but when it comes to real life a father is usually preferred to be kept at the distance by the kids & even the fathers of my time preferred things that way!

On a very personal note I remember a kissa (incidence) when I was some 12 years old & has been gone to watch a horror movie of Ramsey Brothers (yes they did produce such movies which were supposedly horror) & when I reach to the theatre (talkies) the earlier show of 3pm to 6 pm was to finish but because my dad was known figure in the small town named Khamgaon, the gatekeeper allowed me to sit in & I watched the end part of that movie first. It was horror movie & hands of dead coming out of the graves type’s scenes frightened me to the hilt & I returned to my home leaving my show ahead to watch. To my horror my dad was at home early that day & asked me why I didn’t watched the movie & I too was innocent fool (I am still btw) I told him truth that how I watched end part of the movie & how scary it was & that’s why I came back home! My dad sent me back &  asked (read as ordered) me that only if I will go back again & watch the movie full then I will be allowed to enter in the home & he never used to give false threats (one more thing I have learnt from him) so I went back & now the movie time is 9 pm to 12 pm as that’s last show available. I watched the entire move with closed eyes & came back walking alone to my home which was in the outskirts of the town & my dad was waiting in the front yard of the home for me! This happened forty years back, name of the movie was Hotel & I still remember every step I travelled that night on way back, my father may not even remember this as for him it was just another lesson in the class named life but for me that was first lesson to face my fear & I remembered it forever!

This is why I can correlate Harmon’s dad so well as from that day I don’t say I was not afraid of anything, I am still  & of many things but from that day I have never faced off from my fears & this is why a father is never liked by son or daughter or even the mom or get respect ( I meant, Dilse) but this is why the father is special as he know he will be disliked, sometimes even despised by his close ones yet he keeps doing what he knows best for his family! And may be that’s why the moms always gets all the lime light as she has to play the good cop role with father as bad cop for the kids yet the father (most of them) silently accepted the role of the bad cop, just to raise their kids, that’s why a father is special! Indeed the modern child psychologist has their own theories & ways to handle the kids & the old school father are getting replaced by new genre fathers. These new genre fathers are often called as daddu or even by first name by his kids (a thing which I can’t dare at age of 52 with my dad), these new dads can take shouting or even abuse from their kids & smile back in reply of abuse & yes they take their kids to Daddy’s Day Out type outings & that to the places which the kids will decide, they don’t ever hit to their kids or raise voice while speaking to their kids! And yes these new dads don’t carry their work pressures at home, amazing, wow, wonderful & I am speechless when I see such dads, well with such dads it’s the moms which ends up as a bad cop! I respect such dads & I respect child psychology yet somewhere the stark difference between us & the millennium kids is there, may be that’s only because of the good cop dads is what my opinion is (very personal)! Because no harm is smiling, happy, dancing & goody goody dad, all kids will love such dad (I too would have) but only it’s not enough if you want to reach your destination as the journey won’t be just through the green grass but one has to cross deserts & dark forests also & it was the father who used to train or prepare us for hardships of the life making us exposed to them by himself & which is not happening now. And the result is, most millennium kids are unable to suffer or sustain or digest the defeat on any front of the life, leave apart learning form it & bounce back, is a hard fact! This is why a tough father is special, as it makes us rethink about why my dad hit me & how good it was for me in the end!  I did it today & I think that made two tears rolled from my eyes while writing this piece, which is actually a tribute to my dad, when he will read it, he will know! And yes I know two tears will roll from my dad’s eyes too (just two, not more) but he will never tell me that, that’s why I love & am proud of my dad as because of him I am the way I am & this doesn’t mean I have to be like him for what he did to his son but I will try to be a better one  than him as now I too am a father by myself, I think that’s the best tribute he will expect from me!  As there is nothing like a good dad or bad dad but there is definitely a good son or bad son, depending up on what you take from your dad, is what I firmly believe! 

--

Sanjay Deshpande 

Sanjeevani Dev.


Please view my sharing about real estate in Pune at U-Tube link below..

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4xX7eopH5o&t=5s

 

Please do visit my blog links below to read about real estate & home buying! 

https://visonoflife.blogspot.com/2021/01/post-lock-down-real-estate-home-buying.html

http://jivnachadrushtikon.blogspot.com/


Creating Togetherness; team Sanjeevani Way(Click link below) 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65629150@N06/albums/72157627904681345

For any of your complaints about city, log in at link below

www.punecorporation.org

Take your issues to Hon PM at link below..

https://secure.mygov.in/

Think Green, Think Life

www.sanjeevanideve.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave ur name, email id along with ur comment. It will help me to reply ur comment as well improve the blog as per ur suggestions if any... :)
Sanjay